Our county's Extension home economics program is committed to providing information to help families deal with the complex issues of today.
Los Alamos County families are faced with many choices every day about money, time, child rearing, nutrition and health. To make the best choices, residents need practical, research based, unbiased and accurate information. Our Home Economics unit covers programming in:
Our programs focus on:
- Improving consumer and family skills
- Building leadership skills
- Diabetes Education/Kitchen Creations
- Disaster Preparedness
- Family Health and Wellness
- Family Life and Child Development
- Family Resource Management
- Food Preparation
- Food Safety
- Food Preservation
We teach through:
- Local programs
- Community projects
- Group training sessions
Extension Programs and Resources
Home Economics Publications
Pressure Canning at High Altitudes
Pressure Canning At Hight Altitudes Brochure
Home and Family
Pressure Canner Maintenance-
- Pressure canners should be inspected annually. Your county Home Economist provides this service for free. Simply bring your canner and dial gauge by the Extension office to be inspected.
Pickling Class PhotosPictures and information from June's Pickling Class taught by Helen Idzorek.
Salsa Canning Class PhotosPictures from Salsa Canning Class in August taught by Helen Idzorek.
Los Alamos Cooperative Extension Service
475 20th St.
Los Alamos, NM 87544
Phone: (505) 662-2656
Fax: (505) 662-2913